Monday, 5 September 2011
Lamb with spinach Curry
1 lb lamb; cut into bite size pieces
3 bunches of spinach; washed and chopped (3 cups when chopped)
2 tablespoons oil
Whole garam masala (3 cloves, 4 peppercorns, 2 whole cardamoms, 1 inch piece of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds)
1 onion; chopped fine
4 small new potatoes (optional); cut into halves
400g tin of plum tomatoes; liquidised
3-4 cloves of garlic; minced
2 inches piece of ginger; grated
2 green chillies; minced
2 teaspoons of coriander and cumin powders
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
salt to taste
1. Heat the oil in a a pan, add the whole garam masala (3 cloves, 4 peppercorns, 2 whole cardamoms, 1 inch piece of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds). Let them pop, and add the chopped onions and cook until transparent.
2. Add the potatoes (if using) and continue to cook until the onions are golden brown, add the lamb and cook until the meat is brown all over.
3. Add the tomatoes, garlic and ginger and simmer for 40 minutes.
4. Add the spinach, mix and add the water and simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the lamb is cooked.
5. Add the garam masala and salt.
Serve with hot chapatis