Yield: 2-3 servings
- 4 tablespoons lime or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1-2 pinches crushed chilies or pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb. medium sized fresh prawns, cleaned and deveined (or 8 oz. chicken or diced tofu)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 oz. pad thai rice noodles (cooked, drained and rinsed as directed for stir fry)
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons roasted peanuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Mix together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat wok or pan over high heat. Add oil, garlic, shallots and prawns. Cook until prawns are opaque; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add eggs to the pan (if there’s not much oil left in the pan, you can add a little splash – I didn’t need it), then scramble. Reduce the heat to low; add sauce and noodles. Toss until well mixed. Add prawns and bean sprouts. Toss well.
- Garnish with cilantro, peanuts, scallions and lime wedges.