Friday, 23 September 2011
½ kg Bottle Gourd (Lauki, Dudhi, Opo Squash)
1 cup Besan (gram flour)
½ cup grated Paneer
1 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 Tbsp chopped Cilantro
¼ cup finely chopped green onions
½ tsp Garam Masala
Salt to taste
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Finely chopped green onions to garnish
1) Wash and Peel gourd. Cut into 1 cm rounds. Core then center of these rounds to make rings. Reserve the cored center and chop them up finely. Lightly apply salt to the rings and keep them aside.
2) Dry roast gram flour and let it cool.
3) To the gram flour add paneer, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chopped cilantro and green onion. Add finely chopped gourd core, add salt to taste and mix well, but use light hands. The mixture should remain crumbly and no become a dough.
4) Stuff this mixture into gourd rings.
5) Use a steamer (I use Idli steamer) to steam stuffed gourd rings for 10 mins.
6) Let it stand for 5 – 10 minutes.
7) Heat Oil is a frying pan, add cumin seeds and gently place steamed gourd rings. Sautee them on one side until light golden and flip to repeat. While in the pan, top with green onions and dash of lime.
8) Serve hot with Rotis or can be served as a starter with cilantro & mint chutney.