Fresh Coriander leaves without the hard stalk – About 3 cups
Chickpea meal / Besan – About 1 cup heaped
Ginger – 1inch
Chillies – 2 small or 1 medlium
Garlic – 1 pod
Water – About 2 cups or more if needed
Turmeric powder – A pinch
Oil – To shallow fry
Salt – to taste
Sesame seeds – 1 tsp.
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
1. Mince the ginger, chilli and garlic with little water and set aside
2. Bunch together and chop the coriander leaves roughly.
3. Mix the besan with a cup of water, salt, haldi and the coriander leaves to a thin kadhi consistency and set aside.
4. Heat a deep wok and pour a tsp. of oil.
5. When the oil smokes, add the minced ginger, chilli and garlic with liquid.
6. Add the besan mixture, stirring all the while till the liquid evaporates, and the mixture comes together into a thickish ball, not jiggly or spredable. Don’t stop stirring, else lumps form. It should look like this:
8. Heat a non-stick pan. Pour a little oil and add the seasoning when the oil turns hot. Immediately keep the cuboids, and shallow fry on each side till brown and shiny. Alternately, you may deep fry or bake.