Tuesday, 19 July 2011
Walnuts are good for you.....!
Not only are walnuts delicious to eat but also good for your heart and your skin.
They are one of the best plant sources of protein. Here are some health benefits of walnuts we bet you didn't know about:
- Walnuts are a rich source of omega-3 fats and alpha linoleic acid (ALA) that are known to improve artery function.
- They contain anti-oxidant properties that help in preventing cancer.
- It is believed that consumption of walnuts as a part of daily diet helps in prevention of gallstones.
- The monounsaturated fats present in walnuts helps in lowering bad cholesterol and lipoprotein, a compound that can cause atherosclerosis by increasing blood clotting.
- An essential amino acid called L-arginine, which is present in walnuts, gets converted to nitric oxide that helps in increasing the blood flow in the body. It also prevents arteries from narrowing and preventsthe accumulation of fatty deposits on the artery walls.
- Walnuts are often referred to as 'brain food'. That is because they are a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids which plays a major role in the optimum functioning of the brain cells, making you smarter.
- Melatonin, a compound found in walnuts is helpful in promoting good sleep therefore, reducing insomnia and other sleep disorders which are prevalent.